CarHopper's Luxury Market Guide to San Francisco
The Golden City, Frisco, or Fog City. Call it whatever you want, one thing is for sure: San Francisco is among the best cities to visit if you have a few days to spare and a luxury car to cruise its streets. Almost 25 million visitors frequent the city each year, many of them to stay overnight and enjoy some of its trademark vistas.
But how do you get around? How can you make sure that you hit the sweet spots while enjoying the comfort and experience that only a luxury or exotic car rental can provide? Consider this your official market guide to a city that has earned all of its nicknames and then some.
Must-Visit Spots in San Francisco
How you plan your itinerary is entirely up to your personal preferences. That said, here are some of our favorite spots to visit in the Golden City.
The Best Hotels in San Francisco
Ultimately, your first priority should be finding a place to stay. While a number of high-profile hotels compete for the attention of luxury travelers, a few have stood out above the rest.
- The St. Regis, a luxurious modern resort built in 2005. Here, 24-hour butler service ensures consistent comfort, while relaxation rooms serve truffles and champagne.
- The Fairmont, built like a castle overlooking the city. It contrasts the modern chicness of the St. Regis with a classic elegance reminiscent of the early 1900s.
- Loews Regency, an especially comfortable and luxurious solution for business and leisure travelers alike.
Oyster.com has a more detailed overview of San Francisco's most luxurious hotels, including gems like the Fairmont and Loews Regency. Regardless of budget, personal preferences, and style, you will find a luxury hotel ready to accommodate your needs.
The Most Interesting Attractions
Once your place of rest is booked, it's time to explore the city in more detail. Some of the most attractive tourist destinations include:
The most famous prison in the world
- The Golden Gate Bridge, a California and United States icon. Driving across, or simply enjoying a view from Nob Hill, is a must for any San Francisco visitor.
- Alcatraz Island, home to what might be the most famous prison in the world. Take a ferry to participate in a tour, but be sure to book in advance in this popular spot.
- Legion of Honor, an exquisite art museum housed in a Neoclassical Beaux-Arts building. Here, perhaps more than at any other spot in the city, San Francisco's exclusivity shines through every fiber.
- Fisherman's Warf, the perfect area to take a stroll, eat good food, and shop in authentic seaside stores. It also offers great views to the city for anyone interested in taking pictures.
The Best San Francisco Restaurants
Food, of course, should not be too low on your agenda. Some of our favorite luxurious and tasty spots include:
- Hashiri, offering Japanese cuisine in a modern atmosphere.
- Saison, a three-star Michelin eatery that offers innovative French-American cuisine.
- Boulevard, where chef Nancy Oakes offers modern American cuisine with a bay view.
- Cotogna, the perfect spot for hearty Italian dishes and pizza.
Coffee Shops for Your Enjoyment
Who said you had to eat dinner to enjoy a good break in just the right atmosphere? San Francisco is famous for its coffee shops, so options about if you like to partake in pastries or a good cup.
The foodie site Eater has compiled a list of the 28 essential coffee shops in the city, and all of them might be worth a visit. We're especially fond of Andytown Coffee Roasters, a small and exclusive shop known for its Snowy Plover - a cold drink composed of Pellegrino, espresso, and brown sugar syrup over ice, topped with homemade whipped cream.
Taking Your Car for a Spin
And then there's the simple option of getting into your luxury or exotic car, and taking to the road. Especially if you only expect to be in the city for a day or two, the scenic 49-Mile Drive will give you an overview of both the highlights of the city and its best vistas. A longer but possibly even more stunning option is to take the world-famous Highway 1, a 175-mile trip that takes you from San Francisco through Napa Valley and along the North Coast of California to Fort Bragg.
When is the Best Time to Visit?
As any resident will tell you, the weather in San Francisco doesn't behave quite like it does anywhere else. Fall, not summer, is its most attractive season, making it the best time to visit for anyone looking to enjoy the city's roads and outdoor through a scenic car ride. Average temperatures are highest between August and October when they reach just under 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
The summer months of June, July, and August, of course, tend to be the busiest in the Golden City. They're also the months during which the least rain falls, making them ideal if your preference lies with convertibles. An insider tip is to visit during Spring when the temperature is mind enough to enjoy the outside while the roads are not yet crowded enough to feel cramped.
The Cars You Need to Cruise the Golden City
All of the above information can help you plan your trip to San Francisco for maximum enjoyment. But let's be honest: none of it is worth much if you don't get just the right ride for you. Golden City or not, San Francisco is better when explored via car. And it's at its best when that car is as luxurious as you need it to be.
That, in turn, means finding a luxury car rental that can provide you with just the right vehicle for your purposes. If you're staying in or near city limits, and especially when the temperatures drop or the fog creeps up, that might mean the luxury and comfort of a Rolls Royce or Bentley.
But if you're ready to explore the roads, something more powerful might be necessary. Put simply, few things are more exhilarating than driving along the Pacific Ocean on Highway 1 than a Lamborghini or Ferrari under your control. Especially the convertible options provided by these brands make them a perfect fit for longer trips to the Golden City.
Of course, your options don't end there. Budget-friendly alternatives like a Jaguar F-Type or Porsche 718 still offer the power and freedom you need to turn your trip to San Francisco into an unforgettable experience. Our selection of luxury vehicles available in the city offers something for every preference and budget.
San Francisco regularly appears among the world's most famous and beautiful cities in the world for a reason. So why not treat yourself to an exotic car rental that allows you to explore this gem on the Pacific Coast in style? With the possibilities and flexibility provided by CarHopper, you can make it happen. Contact us to learn more about your available option, and book the car of your dreams today in San Francisco or in Miami, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York City, the Hamptons, Fort Lauderdale, or Orlando.